user icon
user icon

Hulkenberg: F1 break 'not as difficult as I expected'

  • Published on 13 Jan 2020 15:18
  • comments 3
  • By: Fergal Walsh

Nico Hulkenberg says the first number of weeks in his break from Formula 1 is not as bad as he was expecting.

The German left Renault at the end of the 2019 season, as the Enstone squad opted to place Esteban Ocon in the team alongside Daniel Ricciardo for 2020.

Hulkenberg spent three years at Renault, having also raced for Williams, Force India and Sauber during the last decade, tallying up 177 grand prix starts.

MORESauber switch in 2013 not the best for my career - Hulkenberg | Hulkenberg not bitter over no F1 podium result

While he is used to spending the winter preparing for the F1 season ahead, Hulkenberg is in a different routine this time around, as he will not be on the grid when the season kicks off in March.

"At the moment it is not as difficult as I expected," Hulkenberg told German news agency DPA.

"Maybe after ten years, it's not so bad at all to have a break, especially after a difficult year like 2019. Who knows what it will be good for in the end." 

Hulkenberg's race plans are not yet confirmed, with the 32-year-old in no rush to sign any deal that will see him get behind the wheel of a cockpit.

"At the moment the only certain thing is that I will not be in a car for the first race of 2020," Hulkenberg said.

"There is nothing concrete for the future, but we will have to see what the results are like. There are things that I cannot influence."

In 2015, Hulkenberg raced at the 24 Hours of Le Mans with Porsche, winning on his first attempt alongside Earl Bamber and Nick Tambay.

Hulkenberg confirmed towards the end of 2019 that he had been contacted multiple times over potential race seats in other series'.

Replies (3)

Login to reply
  • It'll be easier than expected until he sees the other drivers racing while he isn't. I like Hulk, albeit not quite a fan, but I do wonder if he did paint himself into this break. It's such a shame for a talented bloke like him to be without a car. :/

    • + 0
    • Jan 13 2020 - 17:14
    • Kean

      Posts: 623

      I think he'll be back next year. I think it's more likely of Hulkenberg returning rather than Alonso.

      • + 0
      • Jan 13 2020 - 19:21
    • Agree, but that doesn't necessarily mean a lot. Alonso burned most of his bridges to F1. Hulk still has his, he just wanted the bridge guards to...pay him a higher toll to allow him to cross?... Yeah that metaphor didn't work all the way...

      • + 0
      • Jan 13 2020 - 21:37

Related news

AU Grand Prix of Australia

Local time 

  • Friday weather-image

    Saturday weather-image

    Sunday weather-image

  • Free practice 1

    20:30 - 22:00

    Free practice 3

    22:00 - 23:00

    Race

    00:00 - 02:00

  • Free practice 2

    00:30 - 02:00

    Qualifying

    01:00 - 02:00

    Fastest lap

     

AU Grand Prix of Australia

Local time 

  • Fridayweather-image

  • Free practice 1

    20:30 - 22:00

    Free practice 2

    00:30 - 02:00

  • Saturdayweather-image

  • Free practice 3

    22:00 - 23:00

    Qualifying

    01:00 - 02:00

  • Sunday weather-image

  • Race

    00:00 - 02:00

    Fastest lap

    00:00 - 00:00

Test calendar

Yas Marina Circuit - Tyre testing

See full test schedule

Give your opinion!

Is Lewis Hamilton the strongest driver so far in the 21st century?

World Championship standings 2019

Show full world champion standings

Driver profile

  • Team Renault
  • Points 279
  • Podiums 0
  • Grand Prix 102
  • Country Germany
  • Date of b. Aug 19 1987 (32)
  • Place of b. Emmerich am Rhein, Germany
  • Weight 70 kg
  • Length 1.84 m
Show full profile

Team profile

Show full profile

Formula 1 Calendar - 2020

Date
Grand Prix
Circuit
-
Spain
-
Spain
13 - Mar 15
Australia
20 - Mar 22
Bahrain
See full schedule

Formula 1 Calendar - 2020

Date
Grand Prix & Circuit
13 - Mar 15
Australia Albert Park
20 - Mar 22
See full schedule
show sidebar