Kubica lands role of Williams reserve and development driver

• 16 Jan 2018 12:45

Robert Kubica has been confirmed as Williams' reserve and development driver following his attempted comeback to Formula 1. The Pole spent much of his 2017 year targetting a 2018 race seat, first with Renault and then Williams.

However, following evaluation from the post-season test at Abu Dhabi, Williams has opted to give its second race seat to Sergey Sirotkin. Kubica will still hold a role with the team, and will participate in pre-season and in-season testing, as well as selected FP1 outings at certain Grands Prix.

"I’m extremely happy to be joining the Williams team as its official Reserve and Development Driver this season,” he said. "I feel in the best physical shape that I have ever been, but it has taken a lot of work to get to where I am now, so I’d like to thank Williams for the opportunities they have given me so far, and for putting their faith in me with this appointment.

"I have enjoyed being back in the Formula One paddock over these past few months, and I now look forward to working with the Williams technical team, both at the factory and at the track, to really help push forward the development of the FW41 and to make a real difference to their 2018 campaign.

Kubica's career in Formula 1 was suspended after a horrifying rally crash in 2011. However, the 33-year-old says that his ultimate goal is still to return to F1, and believes that his new role with Williams will open more doors for him in the future.

"Having driven both the FW36 and the FW40, I’m looking forward to seeing how the FW41 measures up on track and working with the team to ensure we can maximise the performance of the car. My ultimate goal remains to race again in Formula 1 and this is another important step in that direction: I cannot wait to get started."

Fergal Walsh

• Cant blame him. On a positive note: this allows Williams to do a Toro Rosso move: ditch one of their favours and smoothly and swiftly get Kubica into the seat instead, should they ever want to.

• Jan 16 2018 - 13:40
    • If you believe that, I have this nice bridge to sell to you.

Kubica was not fast enough which is why he didn't get the race seat but Williams being the cheap whore of a team they are now, they'd like to pocket that 8million or whatever so a development drive which amounts to nothing much these days at most F1 teams works fine for Williams. One thing is for sure, Kubica is desperate enough to take on this shitty role. He has to hope one of them drivers sits out a Sunday so he can make a race return and actually do something otherwise he is just PR jewellery who's shine wears off very quickly when that 8million is all eaten up.

• Jan 17 2018 - 13:08
    • Honey, Im afraid to tell you I own that bridge you tried to sell me. Still, nice bridge though.

On a sidenote, thats sorta my take on it. TBH, I wasnt really demanding that Kubica should have that seat, since Im not sure he'll be able to last an entire season with that arm. I find Sirotkin to be equally deserving of that chance.

• Jan 17 2018 - 14:49
    • So someone already sold that bridge to you?! Proves my point either way. LOL

Sirotkin looks no better than Kvyat did before he showed up. PR bullcrap means nothing. It must be proven on track.

• Jan 18 2018 - 02:43
  • Two weak pay drivers, they'll be fighting with Sauber I guess.
    RK should walk away and tell them to shove it. Seems Claire is determined to run the team into the ground.

• Jan 16 2018 - 17:19
  • To be honest I predicted that situation. I mean I thought they would pick Kubica but after Sirotkin's money were told I realised it would be good to keep both of them and their money. But I was wrong in one thing - Kubica is not paying for being reserve driver.

• Jan 17 2018 - 11:07
    • Barron

And thereby Robert has achieved his amazing goal - to be back in F1 as a paid driver. Extraordinary! Ok, it’s not front line but it’s damned close.

• Jan 17 2018 - 11:28