Kubica could receive five FP1 outings with Alfa Romeo in 2020

• Published on 13 Jan 2020 12:10

Robert Kubica could take part in a handful of free practice sessions in 2020 as part of his new role with the Alfa Romeo F1 team.

Earlier this month, Alfa Romeo announced that Kubica had joined it as a reserve driver, with his primary backer Orlen joining as a co-title sponsor

Kubica left Williams at the end of the 2019 campaign following a difficult year at the Grove squad, who was left competing at the rear of the field for the entire season.

Kubica held a reserve and development role at Williams in 2018 before being promoted to a full-time role in 2019, which completed his comeback to the sport after his rally accident in 2011.

MOREKubica: There were nights I cried after rally accident | Red and white Alfa Romeo colours 'good recognition' for Orlen and Poland

Polish media outlet Przeglad Sportowy reports that Kubica will receive five free practice outings throughout the upcoming season, as well as a drive at the post-season Abu Dhabi test.

F1 testing has been cut back in 2020, with eight days of pre-season driving reduced to six as well as the absence of in-season testing.

Kubica had his seat fit at the team last week, where he delivered a message hinting that he is set to drive the Alfa Romeo car this year.

"I'm here in Hinwil, a kind of comeback home where I started my career in Formula 1 in 2006," he said.

"It's very nice to be back in this environment, I have seen many people which I worked with in the past. I just did the seat fit in the new car, so I'm looking forward not only to drive the car, but also to work with the team."

• JuJuHound

He is there and his national sponsor Orlen paid huge money not just for being on the rear wing

• Jan 13 2020 - 13:13
  • I really, really hope he does well in those outings.

• Jan 13 2020 - 17:16
    • You and I know there is no way Robert will drive an F1 car full time again. Maybe with Williams, when Russell finds a proper team and Williams needs more money. But Robert showed he is simply not able to keep up. He completely unmasked himself. The gap remained about the same all season long too.

• Jan 14 2020 - 05:48
    • I know man, I sincerely doubt he will get anywhere near the others, but even then I'd love to be wrong with this one. Especially as one in a similar position to Kubica, and who find him likeable to boot. It'd at least be a cute end to his story, and even if I'm an alleged troll, I'd like that.

• Jan 14 2020 - 13:38
    • I really wanted to see Kubica do well. I was massively excited about it. Unfortunately, he just didn't seem to be able to do it anymore. Maybe it's the dissability, but I frankly don't think that's it. I feel if the arm was a problem he'd be a lot farther back. That being said, I think being a reserve driver is perfect for him. He's still a very experienced and complete driver, he just doesn't have the top speed anymore. A bit like Pedro de la Rosa, Luca Badoer and others

• Jan 14 2020 - 16:34
    • I didn't dare being excited for it, but I did look forward to it. I agree with your sentiment, and hope he'll try maining some series like DTM or Super GT (I'd love seeing him there for sure!).

• Jan 14 2020 - 18:34