Jolyon Palmer has revealed that he found out about his Renault sacking after he saw an article online. On Friday, Renault announced that it had signed Carlos Sainz for the 2018 season, with the Spaniard in to partner Nico Hulkenberg.
Palmer's future has been questioned for many months after he has failed to match the pace of teammate Hulkenberg. The Brit is yet to outqualify Hulkenberg, and has not yet recorded a top ten finish. It is not yet known whether Palmer will see out the season with Renault, with some suggesting that Sainz will be racing for the French squad in Malaysia.
"I knew when I read it on Autosport, and then I knew it was true as well, I spoke to some people. That was it," Palmer said. "Of course I knew with the job I’d done this year, the team is looking for other people, because it’s been a tough year. But you never know until it’s over.
"I could have thought the same thing last year at times as well. So you have to dig in and do the best you can, and I’m still going to do the same. I’m going to give it my all and seven races like I said to do the best I can and even though I’m not staying here and I’ve got no chance to stay here, nothing changes from a performance point of view."
Palmer's future in Formula 1 looks very bleak, with Williams his only real remaining chance of securing a seat for next year. The 2014 GP2 champion admitted that he was disappointed not to be informed about his departure from Renault themselves, but will not think too much on it.
"It was a bit of a shame. I don’t even know who leaked it to the media, but the media have their ways, I know," he said. "It doesn’t change the outcome, to be honest."