Bernie Ecclestone is opposed to drastic changes to the Grand Prix weekend according to Sauber boss Monisha Kaltenborn.
It was earlier reported that the F1 supremo was seeking a change to the race format with two races per weekend mooted but now Kaltenborn has revealed it was actually the teams who wanted the change.
"We've had this discussion before," Kaltenborn told Deutschlandfunk radio. "It's exactly what the teams suggested, but at the time it was said it could not be done because the television times were set."
"There must be the courage to open up for this, which has not been the case with Mr Ecclestone so far," she said.
"Is it really necessary the way we do it from Thursday to Sunday? It can be more exciting and it can be cheaper."
Kaltenborn also hinted that Ecclestone should move aside as the sport goes through the process of being taken over by Liberty Media.
"I cannot tell anyone whether to go or not, because the job he has done has been fantastic," she said.
"But I think you have to know when a new era is coming, and maybe you cannot contribute as much as before."