Button: Hamilton not motivated by Schumacher records

• Published on 31 Jan 2019 14:55

2009 Formula 1 world champion Jenson Button believes that Lewis Hamilton takes pleasure in tackling new challenges rather than emulating Michael Schumacher's records.

In 2017, Hamilton toppled Schumacher's record of the most pole positions in F1 and is closing in on his other achievements. This year, Hamilton can statistically become the driver with the most Grand Prix victories, should he win 18 races.

But Button doesn't think that his former teammate prioritises matching and beating Schumacher's legacy: "Knowing Lewis it’s not about trying to better what Michael has done,” Button told Sky Sports. “I think when things are changing in F1 and there are new challenges, that’s what he loves. That’s what we all love in racing.

“It’s when the challenges stop that you decide that you are going to go and do something else. But with the way F1 is with the regulation changes and the drivers changing all the time, he’s going to want to keep going, which is fantastic for the sport."

Button will work as a full-time Sky Sports F1 pundit in 2019, and is hoping to see an exciting title battle amid new regulations: “Lewis is coming off the back of a fantastic few years but with the regulation changes who knows what’s going to happen in 2019,” he said.

“There’s so many changes at the moment and that’s exactly what the sport needs. I think that we might have three teams fighting at the front. Hopefully we are going to see Red Bull-Honda up there as well. If we do there will be some fantastic fights I’m sure.”

• Rightly so, tbh even if he broke them it would be rather meaningless for several reasons, inc: 21 races per yer now rather than 12, 25 points for a win now rather than 10 and coupled with driving the most dominating F1 car in the history of the sport. So you can't really compare them.

• Jan 31 2019 - 15:44
    • I agree. But also the fact that stats can easily overstate the greatness of a driver. Ayrton Senna holds very few records, but he's almost unanimously consider to be a top 2 or 3 all time driver. People will remember greatness on track, moves, dragging a car to a win. I Consider most of the Schumacher Ferrari championships were rather unimpressive. I don't rate Michael high because of them, but more because of the first two, 1998-2000, and 2006. Lewis will be remembered more by 2007-2010 and the years fighting Rosberg, than by years were he dominated in a dominant car. Sebastian is a great example of driver fat with stats, but not usually considered to be an all-time Top 10.

• Jan 31 2019 - 19:14
  • blade

Disagree RINDT - I think you'll find Schumacher's Ferrari was the dogs' bollox too. In fact, its been said he had tyres that no-one else was allowed to look at, never mind race with. Things were different back then.

• Jan 31 2019 - 18:57
    • Schumi's Ferrari was only dominant in 2002 and 2004 though. not five years in a row like the Merc. couple that with far more races per year and 2.5x more points per win, its easy to rack up the records.

• Feb 2 2019 - 12:28
  • Sorry Button, but this one time I'll disagree. Really, who wouldnt be motivated to get the alltime no1 position?

• Feb 1 2019 - 07:21
    • I think it's taboo to talk about records of all-time-greats when you're in a position to beat them. You see the same in all sports. There are exceptions of course, but in general I think it's viewed as pretentious to talk about beating records. But I agree with you, Lewis is absolutely motivated to beat those records. Especially for a driver with so many haters and doubters. Lewis in spite of all of his success and wealth, still carries a chip on his shoulder about having come from behind. I remember being shocked when he showed that side of himself clearly when berating Nico Rosberg for petty reasons and commenting how rich and privileged Nico was

• Feb 1 2019 - 17:25
    • Maybe it is, but its also a bit insincere. Come on, we know Hammy, he is absolutely gunning for that record, and I dont fault him. I would too, probably one of few things he and I would have in common, except the Super Shrimp would beat him to a pulp (again, can anyone else say they dominated an entire season, in a 2017 spec McHonda? I am undefeated!... In a videogame, but still, thats more or less the same as reality!). Cant really stand the way he at times weaponizes media against his opponents. The situation with Nico in particular, just holy shit. Much better with him vs Vet in 2018, mind. I'll at least give Hammy this: like him or not, but much like Alonso he inspires feelings in people, some love him some hate him. Some want to put him in an ironic death trap relating to Monster Energy... Not saying I would want that... ('sides the trap isnt ready yet)... But I'd have to place that in the "good" camp *whinces in pain*.

• Feb 2 2019 - 13:05
    • What you're talking about is drivers who are also characters. We have very few. Every sport needs heroes and villains. I hope some of the new guys bring some characters to the grid.

• Feb 2 2019 - 15:58
    • Yup, precisely. We do have a few currently, for sure, but Alonso and Hammy are probably among the more... colorful. I think both Gasly and Leclerc have decent potential to become new such characters, Gasly seem to talk enough to fit the bill, and Leclerc strikes me as kinda a new Button. If he behaves like Button but drives like Vettel when he is in the zone, he'll be my favourite for sure. Gee, look at me, getting all giddy over this season.

• Feb 2 2019 - 18:52