Vergne doubts he would accept F1 return

• Published on 08 May 2018 11:54

Jean-Eric Vergne agrees with those who think 2018 could finally be Ferrari's year. Recently, the former F1 driver continued his career as a Ferrari tester, but he is now focusing on Formula E and the world endurance championship.

"I'm no longer with Ferrari, but I'm convinced this season can be theirs," he told La Derniere Heure. Vergne, now 28, drove in F1 for Toro Rosso, but was among the many victims of the Red Bull driver programme.

"I don't regret leaving formula one," he insists. "Even if I was invited to return, as happened with Brendon Hartley, I doubt that I would accept it. What does Hartley have? A contract for one, two years maximum. What will he do then? I'm much more attracted by the opportunity of competing in two championships at the same time," Vergne added.

As for the big Red Bull star, Vergne urged Max Verstappen to "calm down" amid his tumultuous 2018 season and criticism: "Max is a unique driver who is very talented and takes a lot of risks," he said. "Previously he was lucky, because he managed to pull off moves that are one in a hundred. Only now it's not working.

"If he calms down a little and focuses on the main thing - finishing the races - he will be where he should be, which is in the leaders group. But now he is making too many mistakes that can be avoided," Vergne added.

Finally, Vergne spoke about McLaren, as the British team continues to struggle even after switching from Honda to Renault power: "When you have the same engine as a team that wins races, and you're also behind Toro Rosso with Honda, this should be a concern," he said.

"I think McLaren has huge pressure. Fernando (Alonso) told me that the team is preparing a lot of new parts for Barcelona, which would also be good for Stoffel Vandoorne. I think if he was at Mercedes or Ferrari, he would win races. He is in no way inferior to Vettel or Hamilton," Vergne concluded.

• I'd certainly not mind seeing him back in F1

• May 8 2018 - 14:31
    • Kean

I think he fared really well against Ricciardo, and he beat Kvyat. I was a bit confused as to why Renault chose to go with Magnussen instead of Vergne, since Vergne is french and personally I rate him higher than Magnussen. There has been alot of talk about Buemi, and his possible return to F1, he was rumored for a seat at Renault and apparently Red Bull contacted him and got turned down for this season so they went with Hartley. When I read these stories I can't help but think about Vergne and wonder why he's not in the mix when Buemi is.

• May 8 2018 - 15:29
    • They couldnt get Vergne because Ferrari had him in their hooves, and kept him too busy for a serious entry. The reason for why Vergne likely isnt picked is because of sponsor cash, methinks.

• May 8 2018 - 16:44
  • F1 doubts it would accept Vergne return. Fixed it.

• May 8 2018 - 16:27
  • As mentioned by others, I don't understand why Red Bull kicked him on the curb as they did. Performance-wise he was at least as good as Kvyat. But regardless, it strikes me as 'sour grapes' every time I hear some driver speak this way. The other one that takes a swipe at F1 whenever possible is Juan Pablo Montoya, who at least can say he did it all except being champion. But I respect his irreverence in coming out an saying out loud what many others are thinking. Especially since he was a "Ferrari driver" for a short stint. He was level-headed enough to realize Ferrari would never give him a chance.

• May 8 2018 - 16:38
    • Most importantly he was far mor consistent than Kvyat ever were. But he had been at STR for a long time, and they wanted some fresh meat in that seat. A shame nobody else picked him up, would love to see him in e.g Haas. Or maybe mr Button can convince him to join Super GT? >:D

• May 8 2018 - 16:46