user icon

Ferrari feels not guilty if Red Bull has no engine

  • Published on 09 Oct 2015 10:00
  • comments 3
  • By: Danny Sosef

As Red Bull's options narrow further, Ferrari boss Maurizio Arrivabene has played down the prospect of a 2016 engine deal. And the Italian told Brazil's Globo that the perception that the fate of Red Bull and Toro Rosso and hundreds of employees is now in the hands of Ferrari is wrong.

"Red Bull has no engine for 2016 and it seems that we are guilty, but it's not like that," Arrivabene insisted.

It is believed that Ferrari has told Red Bull that the only workable solution for 2016 is that the two teams accept a supply of year-old power units -- something Dietrich Mateschitz says is unacceptable.

But Arrivabene said time is simply too short for Ferrari to cope with producing enough 2016 engines to supply the works team, Haas, Sauber and two additional teams. "We have to plan everything we do, obviously," he said. "And our review of the new power unit development programme and the production, to satisfy another team, would require us to change everything we have planned so far."

So if Red Bull has painted itself into a corner, that was their own doing, Arrivabene argues.

"I am convinced that they were certain they would use the Mercedes engine in 2016," he said. "So much so that they not only reviewed (cancelled) the contract with Renault but also with Infiniti and Total."

But Mercedes said categorically no, and "Only then did they come looking for us", Arrivabene said.

"If they had done so in June, for example, there would still be time for us to look at it. But to come talking to us after Monza...

"To think about a fourth team now, we need engineers who are trained by us to monitor the use of these engines, as we do with Sauber and Manor today," he said. "And these guys cannot be young people who are just leaving university. F1 is not like that. If tomorrow the president of our company (Sergio Marchionne) called me and said 'Give the engines to them', we would have to change everything that we planned very carefully long ago," said Arrivabene.

Replies (3)

Login to reply
  • ianf1

    Posts: 185

    So with such a comprehensive denial we can expect an announcement over the weekend that Ferrari will be supplying RB next year...

    • + 0
    • Oct 9 2015 - 10:36
    • boudy

      Posts: 1,168

      Hope so, would be great of Ferrari to supply RB. This must be so stressfull for all the people in their factory... what a soap.

      • + 1
      • Oct 9 2015 - 11:27
    • I just read that Ferrari refuses to supply them with engines and this is their final decision. This would be a big disaster for F1 if RB is withdrawing both teams!

      • + 0
      • Oct 9 2015 - 12:29

BE Grand Prix of Belgium

Local time 

BE Grand Prix of Belgium

Local time 

Related news

Test calendar

Circuit de Catalunya - Winter testing

Circuit de Catalunya - Winter testing

See full test schedule

Give your opinion!

Will Bottas challenge Hamilton for the world championship in 2020?

World Championship standings 2020

Show full world champion standings

Team profile

Show full profile

Formula 1 Calendar - 2021

Date
Grand Prix
Circuit
-
Bahrain
26 - Mar 28
Bahrain
See full schedule

Formula 1 Calendar - 2021

Date
Grand Prix & Circuit
26 - Mar 28
See full schedule
show sidebar