Sergio Perez says that no one individual was to blame for his shock Q1 exit, insisting that he and Force India "screwed up together". The Mexican failed to advance past the first stage of qualifying, while his teammate Esteban Ocon went on to secure a spot on the fourth row for Sunday's grid.
Perez was hoping to be 'best of the rest' following a positive Friday, where Force India looked strong. Perez stated that he thought his previous lap time was good enough to see him through before his competitors improved on their personal bests.
“I was actually speaking with the team about the balance and what we can do better,” said Perez. “Then I was looking at a lot of people going green, green, green. I think we had a little miscalculation with the tow effect and the track evolving. I was two-tenths from P7, so the margin was pretty small.
"But at the same time, I should have done a better lap. We screwed up together, so I look forward for tomorrow. I hope that tomorrow we can minimise the damage and hopefully score some points. We lost out by a millisecond. We were really unlucky today.”
Perrez has scored points at four of the last five races and will be hoping to add to his tally on Sunday. The 28-year-old currently sits 10th in the driver's standings, having bagged 40 points in the 13 races so far.
“Today was a massive blow for myself, for the team, given how strong the pace of the car was all weekend," Perez said. "We definitely had the pace to be best of the rest, and especially being in a good position for tomorrow. It hurts a lot and it's been a difficult afternoon.
"We have to digest everything and try and focus for tomorrow. Certainly the pace was very strong on Friday, so that should be a strong potential for us to do well in the race. I'm optimistic for tomorrow. I remember 2012, I started around there and I finished second, so we'll see what can happen.”
Bahrain International Circuit - Winter testing