F1 presents new car design for 2021 season

• Published on 31 Oct 2019 17:02

Formula 1 has officially presented the final product of how the 2021 cars will look.

For the last two and a half years, F1 has been working with all teams to shape the future of the sport and design cars that bring the competition closer together, as well as allow for better racing.

F1 has outlined its main objectives for the 2021 season, which are;

1. Cars that are better able to battle on the track
2. A more balanced competition on the track
3. A sport where success is determined more by how well a team spends its money not how much it spends – including, for the first time, a fully enforceable cost cap ($175M per season) in the FIA rules
4. A sport that is a better business for those participating and more attractive to potential new entrants
5. A sport that continues to be the world’s premier motor racing competition and the perfect showcase of cutting-edge technology

The car's front wing has seen the introduction of endplates that point directly up in a triangle shape. The winglets are also curved, while the sidepod structure of the car has also been revised to a more sweeping version. The underbody of the car will have increased aerodynamics.

F1 will also swap out its current 13-inch tyres with low-profile 18-inch wheels, which have been tested by a handful of teams so far this year.  The wheel rims could also feature LED panels which would provide information to the spectators.

Teams previously voiced their disapproval over the direction of the regulations, taking issue with the limited aerodynamic freedom they would have under the new rules.

The sporting regulations will also receive a major shift, as a budget cap of $175 million will be introduced.

More2021 regulations locked in following unanimous approval

• I don't think it looks too bad. In the press conference they showed how the spec allows for different design modifications so the cars won't all look the same. The animation they have of the airflow off the back of the car and around the tires looks awesome. Interesting introduction of the wings above the front tires.

• Oct 31 2019 - 19:48
  • I think like most people, my first reaction is somewhat negative. Then you wonder if it looks too much like Indy cars. Then when you're pass that and see a rendering with the Renault livery, you start re-considering and then hoping that the racing actually gets better, because if it does get better, you won't care very much about the livery.

In all seriousness, I think it look fine, it will grow in me. However, my biggest issue is the tyres. I still don't understand why F1 is doing that.

• Nov 1 2019 - 05:35
    • Honestly, my first reaction was actually pretty positive, which is pretty unlike me (cyniccynicsmirksmirk). Looks modern and sleek, so that suits me. I'd wished to see more liveries on it, but I think it looks pretty neat. But I do hope we get to see a bigger variation in car looks, it is a bit unfortunate to me that most of the current cars looks very similar.

• Nov 1 2019 - 18:06
  • JuJuHound

Looks quite futuristic like F1 from 2050 or more. I hope it will look fine and the excitement from races will be aswell. However I'm watching F1 since 1987 and last couple years were best from these 32 years. I really see no reason to make these drastic changes but it seems the big heads want to F1 be more and more popular. So they have to try. Cross my fingers, whatever happens, F1 never rests, I will be there whatever happens.

• Nov 1 2019 - 09:40
    • Well said, so will I. :) And yes, Mercedes dominance aside, these last years have offered some really good races. 2018 was a mostly fantastic season, and while 2019 as a whole was a downgrade some of the races are in my top 20 favourites. :)

• Nov 1 2019 - 18:08