F1 legend Niki Lauda played a key role as a compromise was reached between the engine manufacturers and the governing FIA. That was the claim on Wednesday of Auto Motor und Sport, as the FIA confirmed reports that the 'client engine' proposal was voted down during Tuesday's Paris meeting of the F1 Commission.
"The parties involved have agreed on a course to address several key areas relating to power unit supply in formula one," a statement read. With FIA president Jean Todt most concerned about costs, another issue is guaranteeing supply for teams like Red Bull while Bernie Ecclestone wants simpler technology and more noise.
The FIA said the carmakers Mercedes, Ferrari, Renault and Honda will present their proposal on 15 January next year, for introduction in 2017 or 2018. But if the proposal is not satisfactory, the FIA warned on Wednesday that the idea of the 'parallel' engine rules - with Ilmor, Mecachrome, AER and another independent supplier all interested - "may be reassessed".
Germany's Auto Motor und Sport on Wednesday claimed Lauda, the Mercedes team chairman, had been instrumental to the compromise deal. "It's a good solution for the sport," he said, "and the right direction. "A championship with two different engine concepts would have been madness and destroyed formula one," Lauda added.
He revealed that the engine manufacturers will begin to discuss the proposal this weekend in Abu Dhabi. (GMM)
Would you like to stay up to date with the latest Lewis Hamilton and Formula 1 news from GPtoday? Activate free push notifications and be the first to know!